Monday, June 22, 2009


I got my wisdom teeth out on Friday (all three of them). I was really nervous going into it because I was going to be sedated with an IV. This scares me for two reasons, one being the fact that I hate needles and cry just by seeing one and, two, the fact that "going under" just scares me in general. So needless to say Thursday night I was an emotional train wreck trying to prepare for this "surgery". And Greg didn't really make me feel better either. Although he was trying to tell me exactly what was going to happen to prepare me, it was actually making me feel worse. And he had MAJOR issues when he got his out. Like he almost bled to death and his mom had to stuff a towel down his throat as they rushed him back to the ER...

So anyways, Friday morning came and I had written in my planner, my personal calendar and my work calendar that I had an appt with Dr. Martin at 11am. So Greg and I planned it perfect to get there at 10:45, which would give him enough time to go to class, a study session and grab lunch before my appt. Well, I got up early and ran some errands and went to the grocery store and got home about 10am. Around 10:30 I got a phone call from the Dr's office wondering where I was. I politely told them my appointment was at 11 and that I would be there at 10:45. The lady proceeded to get somewhat nasty with me and told me my appointment was actually at 10 and everyone was waiting on me.

So I call Greg and he rushes to my apartment and we rush over to the doctor's office. Everyone was then really nice and Dr. Martin told me I had nothing to worry about. He sedated me about 10:45 and got everything started and by 11:40 we were walking out the door to go home. It was sooo easy! I was really loopy and totally out of it from the sedation, but I couldn't get over how easy it was.

Greg took me home and tucked me into bed. I fell asleep immediately and he woke me up every hour to change the gauze in my mouth. He also woke me up to feed me icees. I have never been an icee person, but omigosh it felt so good on my mouth and throat! I could not get over how good it was.

I just slept all day Friday, and mostly Saturday too. I was on pain meds both days. Sunday I felt much better but was still very tired. I didn't need to take any of the OxyCotone though. And then today I came back to work. I did get some pretty bad pain in my mouth mid morning so I took a pain med and within an hour felt sooo much better!

So for any of you out there who need to get your wisdom teeth out...go for it! It was easy, mostly painless, and gives you a great excuse to sleep and lay on the couch for a few days.